The Story of Goldstone Hall
A hotel 800 years in the making
The history of Goldstone Hall starts from the middle ages. A family with the name De Goldestan appear to have been on the site before 1180 and the Goldstones of Goldstone owned estates here until the 18th Century when Edward Pegg built a new house at Goldstone, on or alongside the site of the Goldstone family’s Elizabethan manor house. This (along with its additions) is the present Goldstone Hall.
Helen and Charles Ward bought the house in 1978 as a private home. In 1983, two years after Charles’ death, Goldstone Hall Hotel began. The idea came from Helen’s friend, Ruth Rae at their weekly yoga class within the Goldstone Walled Garden.
Helen Ward was the enthusiastic and driven founder knowing that Goldstone was a perfect place for great eating and drinking. She insisted in quality cooking and innovation, with in her spare time, a passion for gardening.
Today it is Helen’s son John and wife Sue with their daughters who ensure that traditional quality hospitality is contemporary and fashionable.